Camp Ma-He-Tu is a not-for-profit, ACA-accredited residential summer camp founded in 1937. Our mission drives every decision, empowering our girls to unplug, learn, and grow in a picturesque lakeside setting. Our small size - only 110 campers at a time - enables our girls to make deep, life-long friendships. Camp Ma-He-Tu is sponsored by the Lutheran Girls' Camp Association (501c3) and affiliated with the Metro NY Synod of the ELCA.
Our Amazing Campers
Our campers are girls from 7 - 15 years old. Each summer, our camp family grows from first-timers to those returning for their 9th year and everything in between. With only 110 campers attending each session, it's easy to get to know every camper! The diversity of our community drives our traditions and supports the close-knit relationships that are built in each two-week session.
Our Beautiful Surroundings
Camp Ma-He-Tu is located on the shores of Lake Kanawauke in Harriman State Park, in Bear Mountain, New York. Ma-He-Tu retains its rugged charm with little alteration to the natural landscape - our facilities blend right into the beautiful wilderness.
Our location within the Park System provides us with many additional advantages:
- Privacy - we are isolated from commercial and private land use. Our only neighbors are other camps!
- Access - we can hop on any of the extensive hiking trails maintained by the park and are within walking distance to the Nature Museum
- Activities - the Bear Mountain Zoo, West Point, the Bear Mountain Inn, Perkin’s Drive, and public beaches are fun field trips
- Security - we have the added security of the Park Police Force in case of emergency
- Convenience - we are only about an hour away from NYC by car, bus, or train